Pages

Sunday 26 April 2015

Part 1: Lillian And Her Journey With ADHD

Lillian was born August 2007 in Miami Dade, Florida. Lillian is of Haitian descendant, her birthing Mum was only 26 and an illegal immigrant to the USA. Long story short is that I've always wanted a 3rd child and always wanted to give an unfortunate child good foundations, which finally became possible in 2007.

Lillian has always been a difficult child...she never tolerated her milk, always threw up, was a real cry baby and threw major tantrums. It wasn't till preschool/kindergarten where Lillian's tantrums started to get out of hand and as new be parents once again we thought it was just Lillian being Lillian. Her span of attention started to wain and although she was very bright, she started to be overly excited and then towards the end of the night she was always in tears. To us this was normal and I just thought this was Lillian's makeup, especially since she wasn't from me...so I thought!

It has been a struggle, this is something I'm not going to lie about. The constant arguments, tantrums and even her lashing out on me, not just the once but a few times! I classed this as over spill tantrums, though once she lashed out at me I felt bitter and angry at her....why me I thought?! It wasn't till she was in grade 1 where the teacher told me that Lillian's behavior was uncontrollable...she was bossy, always wanted to be first, was loud, making fart noisy on her hands and just generally being naughty in school. Yet, she was head of her class in reading, speaking, spelling and when asked about completing any work her answer would be "I'm bored!"

She eventually skipped a year and went to Grade 3 but this current teacher noticed the same. Though instead of writing to us, she called us in for a one to one and informed us that she felt Lillian has ADHD. Lillian's teacher suggested her to visit a child psychologist and that the school would put Lillian's name forward for this. So, after a few weeks we ended up going and we listened to what the psychologist had to say about ADHD, though Lillian ticked some of the boxes but not all, she was indeed ADHD (these sessions with the psychologist where over months).

Lillian was put on a low dose of Concerta for one month and what a difference it has made. She has settled in class nicely, completes her work and is less argumentative, and the tantrums are now few and far between, though we still have the crying at nights if she doesn't get her own way. Her doctor has now decided to put her on a higher dosage, but we have to look out for sleepless nights and weight loss as that is one of the side effects. There is one thing that we both (Dave and myself) don't want her to lose, and that's her personality. Lillian is a lively little girl, full of joy, always singing and always wanting to make us happy.


I'm truly hoping that Concerta doesn't take that away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment